Gate Security Guard
Port of Astoria
Gate Security Guard
Position Objectives: Responsible for monitoring gate activities for the Port and Port properties, such as the piers, mooring basins, and others as assigned. May also be responsible for safety and security checks on these properties. Work will be scheduled predominately on an “on-call” basis and is performed under the general supervision of the FSO and the Deputy Director.
Examples of Essential Job Duties:
1. Maintain secure gate operations to meet the requirements of the Facility Security Plan (FSP)
2. Recognition and detection of dangerous substances and devices
3. Recognition of persons who are likely to threaten security
4. Attending training and drills and maintain required certificates of training
5. Techniques to prevent the efforts of persons who would try to circumvent the Port’s security measures
6. Inspection, control, and monitoring techniques, including methods of physical screening
7. Respond to security incidents and keeping management informed of any/all incidents
8. Other Duties as Assigned
Experience, Training & Certifications: Must be 18 years of age or older, high school graduation or equivalency, preference to at least one year of police or security experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training, which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the above-described duties. Must possess TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) Card or be able to obtain one prior to date of hire.
Working Conditions: This position could be outdoors in all types of weather, spends considerable amount of time in or at a guard shack. While work is generally not strenuous, the position may be subject to rigorous physical activity.
Ability: Need to be able to see well at night; be agile and able to respond to situations; effectively speak and listen on a phone and two way radio; establish and maintain effective, courteous relationships with coworkers and the general public; write clear and accurate reports; keep accurate records; deal professionally with disorderly persons; deal with potentially hazardous or dangerous situations safely and professionally.
Schedule: This position is shift based, with some shifts scheduled in advance, but predominately shifts will be on an “on-call” basis. Shifts are: day, swing, and grave-yard, including week-ends and holidays.
View All Jobs